The green crostini modified and Adapted from Crostini with Zucchini Pesto
Ingredients for GreenCrostini(Zucchini Pesto)(enough for 4 crostinis)
1 zucchini, grated
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup basil, shredded
4 sprigs Italian parsley, finely minced
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
A handful of sun gold tomatoes, quartered
1. Coarsely grate the zucchini on a cheese grater and put on a plate with a sheet of paper towel on it. Sprinkle with salt. The salt draws out all the moisture from the zucchini. Wait 5 minutes and squeeze out all the excess moisture.
2. Put the zucchini in a bowl and add sunflower seeds, basil, parsley, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest. Toss together well then add the sun gold tomatoes and adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Add more garlic, nutritional yeast or lemon juice as you like. Refrigerate til ready to serve.
3. Just before serving, drizzle or brush olive oil on 4 thin slices of ciabatta bread or in my case I used a french batard. Toast the bread and let it cool.
4. Top the bread with heapings of the zucchini pesto! Yum!
Ingredients for Red Crostini (Grated Beet Salad) (serves 4-8 people)
-Recipe from our fabulous apprentice Devin Ross
5-6 beets, grated
3 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp Limeade or OJ
3 cloves garlic, minced
pepper to taste
1/2 cup peanuts, finely chopped
1. Peel the beets and coarsely grate on a cheese grater. Add rest of the ingredients and toss well. Add pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated til serving time.
2. Just before serving, drizzle or brush olive oil on 4 thin slices of ciabatta bread or in my case I used a French batard. Toast and let it cool.
Top with plenty of beet salad. ( If you have more bread you can make more. Or you can have the salad by itself. There is plenty left.)
Makes great open sandwiches or appetizers!