In the dead of winter, it’s hard to find things you can enjoy raw. There are lots of greens to eat but usually they require a lot of cooking. I was pleasantly surprised to find this recipe for kale(modified from Martha Stewart) because I never imagined eating it raw! Not only was the kale tasty and not bitter at all, it was beautiful! I recommend everyone to try this recipe!
(photo to come soon!)
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1 bunch of Red Russian Kale, center rib removed, very thinly sliced. (Do not discard the ribs. They can be used to make soup stock on a rainy day)
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1/2 apple, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
1 Tbsp soysauce
2 Tbsp peanut butter or a handful of roasted peanuts
1. Cut the kale, carrot and apple and set aside in a serving bowl.
2. Puree oil,vinegar, peanuts, sugar and soysauce in a blender until smooth.
3. Pour dressing onto the slaw and let it ‘marinate’ 10 minutes.
* The dressing was a bit too sweet for our taste. We would probably put less sugar next time so we can get more of a tart flavor.
* For an even more ethinic touch, add Shiracha sauce, grated ginger and garlic. Enjoy!