Ingredients (serves 4-6)
* olive oil for sauteing vegetables
*2-3 medium sized leeks cut into rounds( depending on the freshness you can use the green part as well)
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 3-4 small parsnips, peeled and chopped
*2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 1 cup half and half
* salt and pepper to taste
*bouquet garni( any of the following herbs: bay leaf, thyme, sage, parsley, chervil, rosemary)
1. Find a nice deep pot and warm it up. Saute the leeks in olive oil for a few minutes, sprinkle a little salt , cover the lid and steam for 10 minutes on medium low heat.
2. Add parsnips, potatoes, celery and saute for 4 -5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and and water just enough to cover the vegetables by 3/4 inch. Add the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer til the vegetables are soft.(15-20 minutes).
4. Puree everything in the pot adding half and half in 3-4 parts. Add salt and pepper if needed.
5. Top with the crab and mushroom relish and serve warm.
Ingredients for crab and mushroom relish
* 1 Tbsp butter
* 2 cups mushrooms(shitake, oysters, portabella, chantrels,.. any mushrooms work but a variety is fun)
* 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
* 2 cups crab meat, leave in good chunks
* 6 green onions, use only the green part chopped
1. Warm up the frying pan and melt the butter. Stir in the mushrooms so that most of it is coated in butter. Sprinkle salt and cover with lid for one minute.
2. Add the garlic, crab, green onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Arrange on top of soup and enjoy!