Never in a thousand worlds would I have come up with putting shishito in a quiche. I LOVE having shishito as a beer snack, an appetizer, pan fried and lightly flavored with sea salt or soy sauce. (If you haven’t tried it this way yet please do!) And until today, that was basically the only way I have been eating them. Now that we sell the shishitos to a wide range of customers, it is exciting for me to hear how other people prepare the vegetables we make and so I was inspired to broaden my horizon and make a quiche following jalapeno quiche recipes online. I have also tried roasting them and they turned out great! So roast away and freeze shishitos for the cold winter months:)
Ingredients (6~8 servings)
* 2 strips of bacon, chopped
* 1 medium sized red onion, sliced
* 20 shishito peppers
* 2~3 sprigs of basil
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
* 4 eggs
*salt and pepper to taste
* ready made pie crust
* A little bit of olive oil
1. Heat a little bit of olive oil in a frying pan and add bacon, onions and shishito and cook on medium high heat for 5-10 minutes.
2. Place the contents of the frying pan on the bottom of the pie crust and spread evenly.
3. Layer the basil leaves on top of that and again make sure it is distributed evenly.
4. Mix the eggs, cream, cheese, salt and pepper together and pour on top of the basil.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Cool off 10 minutes before cutting.
Enjoy hot or cold! As a snack or a meal!