Ingredients and Preperation(Serves 4)
Dish 1: Boiled Beets and Wasabi Yogurt Dip
*3 Tbspns yogurt
*half inch wasabi paste (more or less according to your preference)
* a little soy sauce
1. Take off greens from beet root and use separately as a cooking green. Keep beet roots whole without cutting as it will bleed. Put in a pot and cover with just enough water to boil. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
2. Cool beets by running under cold water and peel and slice. make sure you cut it horizontally! The Chiogga beets look like dart targets inside! Fun!!
3. Mix the yogurt, wasabi paste and soy sauce. Set aside.
Dish 2: Lettuce Wraps and Spicy Kiwi Salsa
*1~2 heads of lettuce
* a bunch of mint,minced
* a bunch of cilantro,minced
* salt to taste
* hot peppers(optional)
1. Wash the lettuce. The best way to wash lettuce is to soak it in a big bowl of water for 4-5 minutes. Most dirt particles will sink to the bottom of your bowl so you need to take out the leaves and spin it. If you don’t have a spinner, place the lettuce in a clean dish towel, fold it so the leaves don’t fly out when you shake it. But by swinging the lettuce vertically in a downward motion you can shake out the water! Be sure to step outside for a while to do this!
2. To make the salsa. We had Angelina of Angelina’s Kitchen roast a whole bunch of our Anaheim peppers last year. I had a bag of them frozen and used 1 or 2 minced to add to this salsa. Set aside.
3. Peel and dice the kiwi. Add minced cilantro, mint and hot peppers. Add salt to taste. Mix well and set aside til serving time.
Dish 3 Ground Pork Filling
* local ground pork (I support my locals:Cane Creek Farm or Cohen Farm )
* a turnip, diced in small pieces
* a carrot, diced in small pieces
* 3 shitake mushrooms from Spain Farm, cut in small pieces
* a handful of chard stems, chopped in 1/4 inch sizes
* garlic/garlicscapes and or green onions, chopped in 1/4 inch sizes
* 1 Tbspn brown sugar
* 2 Tbspns nampura (fish sauce)
* a little lemon juice
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. After cutting everything, heat a frying pan and add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. (If you are using garlic add now)Add the ground pork and cook through at medium high heat.
2. Add the turnips, carrots, chard stems and shitake and cook 5 more minutes.
3. Add the sugar, nampura and garlicscapes or green onions and cook a little longer. Adjust taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Add the lemon juice at the end.
4. Put in a serving dish and set aside.
Dish 4: Guacamole
* 1 avocado
* 1/2 tomato, diced
* half an onion, diced
* a tspn of lemon juice
* 2 Tbspn yogurt
* 5 cloves of garlic, minced
* salt and pepper to taste
* a few dashes of soy sauce
1. Cut the avocado and take out the pit and scoop the meat into a bowl. ( keep the pit handy for later when you have leftovers; it keeps the avocado mixture from turning brown.)
2. Add the diced tomato and onion to the bowl. Then add the yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, soysauce and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix all ingredients together with a spoon until you get a creamy texture but leave some chunks of avocado too.
Now that all the dishes are prepped enjoy mixing and matching them by wrapping into fresh crisp lettuce! Enjoy!