We hope you are enjoying your boxes! Many of you have said you enjoy the challenge of getting a ‘surprise box’ and having to cook and consume everything in a week. Someone said it was like being on Iron Chef! Yes! Cooking shouldn’t have to be a chore! Have fun with it!
I know… It is only week 3 but what do you do with ALL those greens and beets! Some of you are not familiar with greens. Some of you don’t like beets. Please keep it a secret if you forgot about the poor little turnip and it rotted or you threw something away…If you feel ‘behind’ on eating everything before the next pick up, here are a few tips.
1. Save the greens for a rainy day . The boxes are full of greens right now but soon there won’t be much and you will miss them. Since cooking greens like chard, mizuna, komatsuna, beet greens or turnip greens do not keep in the fridge for long, you can blanch them and freeze them. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and throw in the greens whole or chopped. Wait for it to come to a boil again and take out. put it under running water to remove heat, squeeze out the excess water, place in a ziploc and freeze.
2. Beets and turnips should keep in the fridge for a few weeks. Just separate them from their greens. They will wilt quickly. Check out the recipe on beets for the best way to eat them!
3. Call upon pot-lucks and share your meals!
4. Give some away to your neighbors and friends!
5. Last last resort….compost them. If you don’t already have a pile going this would be the perfect time to start one! Then maybe next year, you will have a good pile to start a garden with!
Alright, are you ready to hear what you’ll be getting in your boxes this week?
* Mini Daikon
* Watermelon Radish
* Butterhead Lettuce ( Full shares will also receive a Romaine)
* Green Onions
* 2 choices of herbs from the following;
Dill, Cilantro, Parsley, Edible Flower and Herb Mix,
Oregano, Basil, Lime Basil, Stevia, Catnip, Peppermint,and
Spearmint ( please keep in mind that it will be on a first come first serve basis, so come early!)
Please remember to bring the boxes back! If you don’t give the box back you’ll have to have some wide arms to carry the veggies off the following week! Just kidding…but we did spend quite a bit of money on them and are hoping they’ll last awhile, so we strongly urge you to get in the habit. Thank you!